Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Secrets to Writing and Delivering Wedding Vows

I recently went a wedding where the bride and groom wrote their wedding vows together and read them aloud. It was so touching and beautiful that my own husband even teared up! That never happens. This got me to thinking about they keys to good wedding vows. Here's what I've come up with:

1. Read all or part your vows instead of repeating them. This will keep you from imitating the intonation of the officiant. This will truly make a big impact on your audience.

2. Speak up so the back row can hear you.

3. Don't write anything disparaging, too personal or that is an "inside joke" because you do have an audience.

4. Print your vows on thick construction paper that fits with your color scheme. Give your coordinator or a trusty friend the extra copies in case anything happens to the originals. Give another copy to your officiant, so they can follow along and know when you're going to finish.

5. Keep it short, most people's minds wander after one minute.

6. And try your best not to cry! This can turn into blubbering and honestly, no one wants to hear that. If you feel your voice crack or know the tears are coming, pause and regain your composure, no one will mind waiting a bit!

Do you have anything else to add? Have a different opinion? Let us know. And email me for a copy of vows that my friends used!!

1 comment:

said...

Just stumbled upon your blog. Glad to have found an Atlanta resource! I've been blogging about my wedding plans here in Atlanta. Feel free to stop by my blog :) Happy Thanksgiving.